Maryland FLL Championship
The Maryland FIRST LEGO League Championship for the "Animal Allies" season was at the UMBC Retriever Activities Center in Catonsville on Feb. 25, 2017
Photos and Videos from 2017 FIRST LEGO League Championship, February 25, 2017 (photos by Marco Ciavolino and crew)
Seventy-two teams were at UMBC on February 25, 2017 to compete for top honors at the Maryland FIRST LEGO League Championship. All of the teams attending earn their way to the Championship by competing at one of 18 FIRST LEGO League Qualifying Tournaments held throughout the state in December-February.
At the Championship, teams are judged on robot performance, presentation of their research project, technical judging of their hardware and software design, and collaboration according to FIRST core values.
See lots of great photos and videos from previous events in our Gallery:
Maryland FLL Championship Agenda
FLL Teams are assigned to color groups. If you are rooting for a particular team, please find out what Color Group they get assigned to, and sit in the stands near the pair of Match Tables for that Color Group.
- 7am - 8am: FLL Team Members and Coaches check in between and proceed to their Pit Areas. Note: FLL Pit Areas are Off Limits to the general public.
- 9:00am - 11:30am: FLL Robotics Teams will proceed to Judging rooms. Judging takes place in closed rooms. Two adult mentor is allowed to observe the Judging from the back of the closed Judging Room.
- 10:00am - 11:30am: Junior FIRST LEGO League Expo. Twenty Junior FIRST LEGO League teams will exhibit their Projects. See teams of 6-9 year olds demonstrate that, yes, they can do science and technology as well as the next senior engineer.
- Exhibits: FRC, FTC, Robotfest, Northrop Grumman, Kevaplanks
- 10:00am Lecture Hall 3: College Savings Plans of Maryland (in Room LH3 in Administration Building across from the RAC).
Get a Head Start on College Savings! Learn More About the College Savings Plans of Maryland. It's never too early or too late to start saving for college. The College Savings Plans of Maryland is the easy, affordable and smart way to save for your child's education at nearly any college in the nation. The College Savings Plan of Maryland offers two distinct and flexible plans that will help Maryland parents, grandparents, and family friends give their favorite student a head start.
12:15: FLL Tournament Opening Ceremony. Join our 72 FLL teams, FLL Jr. Teams, more than 800 young engineers and hundreds of family, friends, and VIPs to kick off the public event. The FLL Jr. teams will receive their awards as well.
We Welcome our Guest Speaker
Mr. Raymond Sharp
1:00pm - 3:30pm: Robot Challenge Matches (three rounds per team). This is the primary public event. You'll see the FLL teams competing in groups for the highest robot scores of the day.
3:45 - 4:15pm: Final Matches
4:30pm – 5:00pm: Closing ceremony. After a day of technical, teamwork, and research presentations then three grueling hours of table challenges, all the teams are recognized for the efforts and key awards are given out.
- The Concession Stand in the Retriever Athletic Center will be open beginning in the morning, and will remain open through out the event.
- Visitors can also enjoy food in The Commons (bldg. 13 on campus maps). The Grill, on the mezzanine level, is open late until 10:30 p.m. seven nights a week.
- FLL Teams and Coaches are permitted to bring their own snacks and drinks.
- Starbucks and Chick-fil-A will also be Open in the University Center, not far from the RAC (See Map!)
University of Maryland, Baltimore County
Retriever Athletic Center (bldg. 32 on campus maps)
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250
FREE parking for Parents and Spectators will be available in the loop, and Commons Drive.
Here are more links to UMBC Campus Directions and Maps: